Wednesday, October 7, 2015

BNW Chapter 3

What character was your favorite? Why?

We're only three chapters in, but so far my favorite character is Lenina Crowne.  She seems like she is set up to go through the most change in the story.  While Bernard does look like he is going to be the main character of the story, he is already firmly defiant in his thoughts.  It is just a matter of when he will decide to go against the structure.  Lenina on the other hand is slightly going against norms by only being with one man, and deciding to choose to accept Bernard's invitation.  I like Lenina because she is going against society in a more subtle way because she is doing what she wants based on how she feels.  Bernard is going against society based on thought.  While I am a fan of rationality, there is something charming about Lenina's self awareness.

2 comments:

  1. So you have never read this novel--had you heard of it before? "It's just a matter of when he will decide to go against the structure" tells me you are familiar with the dystopian genre--yet I promise Bernard is the first of his kind--the likes of Divergent followed. Lenina a has always intrigued me as well--when I taught this novel to seniors, we utilized 3 theoretical lenses: historical, feminist, and Marxist--Lenina was always a class favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you always like it when characters go through major changes or at least is that a prerequisite for you to really like a character in a story? I think that is really awesome if it is! I have read and loved BNW so I definitely think Bernard goes through some changes, but I definitely see your point that the two characters start off at different points or state of minds. However, I did hate Lenina Crowne when I read the book.

    ReplyDelete